Diploma of Equine Myofunctional Therapy
The Equine Myofunctional Therapy (EMT), remedial and sports massage course was specifically developed for the horse and all that we ask of this great athlete. The course has therefore been named accordingly; ‘Myo’ meaning muscle and ‘Functional’ pertaining to the complete function of how the muscle-tendon-skeletal system is designed to work and all that can disrupt this evolutionary marvel.
This course is designed for all who have a love and interest to improve the health, well-being, performance and longevity of the horse, by learning how to apply equine specific and appropriate remedial or sports massage techniques according to the individual horse being presented for treatment.
The horse is a highly-regarded athlete, the musculo-tendinous system is the horses’ system of moving the skeleton, when this system is impaired, movement and normal functioning is impaired. EMT addresses this system to repair and maintain movement and flexibility.
The modality of EMT is for the benefit of all horses especially the highest performing sport horse. Our college pioneered the Equine Myofunctional Therapy course in Australia in 1993, after much study and communication with other equine professionals and Veterinarians to ensure equine specific guidelines with proven treatment outcomes would continue to develop for those who were wanting to make this a part of their professional working life within the ever growing equine world.
This course will enable the student to understand fundamental principles to consider the ‘whole’ horse, along with correct terminology of equine anatomy and physiology and the importance of understanding every physiological effect of each technique applied and the ‘job’ or action every muscle has to execute to make a movement sequence happen. The student will also learn to evaluate the outcome of each treatment and ways to suggest and plan a schedule for each individual horse.
• A complete 13 units in equine anatomy and physiology is included
• Superficial and deeper muscles of the horse
• Muscle origin, insertion and muscle actions
• Directional terminology
• Latin terminology
• Contraindications to ‘EMT’
• Key points for the Equine Myofunctional Therapist working with horses
• Fundamentals of muscle injury and healing
• Exercise physiology
• Visual observations and gait analysis, biomechanical function v’s dysfunction
• Tactile observations of a soft tissue diagnosis
• Remedial, myofascial, trigger point/muscle spasm release and sports massage techniques
• Rehabilitative proprioception exercises
• Functional importance of hoof and leg biomechanics
• Saddle fitting key points and identifying dysfunction
• Building a business – business plan
• Occupational health and safety considerations
• Professional clinical case report writing
• Clinical case studies logbook
30% deposit, payment plans include a 10% Merchant Services fee. Monthly payments over 6 months. Please contact us for a course guide and payment plan information
EMT Victoria and Queensland: Enrolments are open. Next course starts online with the theory components, 17th June 2020. In-class Six (6) day practical weeks available in: Victorian Venue: Practical Week 12th - 17th October 2020 at Boomerang Ranch Daylesford and Sovereign Hill Ballarat. Queensland Venue: Practical Week Dates 26th October- 1st November 2020, at the RDA, Arundel QLD 'TBC'.
Course is based on part-time study and scheduled to be completed with 12 months.
Blended delivery of live and recorded theory webinars and in-class hands-on practical week over 6 days (Monday – Saturday)
Competent Horse handling skills required.
All assessments can be submitted by email or post.
All texts and notes are included in the price.
Graduates are eligible to join the Small Animal and Equine Naturopathic Association or the International Institute of Complimentary Therapies as a full member. Insurance to work as a professional is available.
Contact us directly for a course guide and/or download the Enrolment and Payment Agreement forms.
Email enquiries and forms to firstname.lastname@example.org
Dual Study Option:
A combined course discount is offered to students also wishing to complete the Canine Myofunctional Therapy course &/or upgrade to the Full Naturopathy Diploma
Make An Enquiry With Us Today
- Enjoy the best student/teacher ratio in the industry
- Learn in a nurturing environment where you will receive individual attention and all the support you need to succeed
- Be confident learning with the college with the highest retention rate of students and 30 years in the industry
- All your texts and course notes are included in your fees
- We employ highly qualified and experienced lecturers with innovative teaching techniques
- You are guaranteed continued support after completing your course